About the journal
The Prairie Naturalist fills an important role as the avenue of communication of research on the North American grasslands and their biota. Articles include research topics such as investigating Great Plains community and landscape ecologies, species-specific population dynamics, mammalogy, ornithology, invertebrate zoology, herpetology, ichthyology, botany, animal behavior, infectious diseases, and biostatistics.
The Prairie Naturalist offers timely technical information for researchers, educators, students, and the interested public. Published biannually, the journal reaches subscribers throughout the United States and Canada, as well as libraries in Europe and Asia. About 10% of each volume is devoted to shorter and less comprehensive communications (i.e., notes) and book reviews. Manuscripts containing original material not submitted elsewhere are considered for publication; all manuscripts are reviewed by specialists in relevant fields. The Prairie Naturalist publishes reviews of scholarly books from multiple disciplines that focus on the natural history and ecology of The Great Plains.
- Original research
- Book reviews
- NEW! Thesis/Dissertation abstracts
In addition to print publication, authors publishing manuscripts in The Prairie Naturalist will now have their manuscripts published as Open Access free of charge. Manuscripts will then appear both in print and online in The Prairie Naturalist Archives via Digital Commons at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Instructions for authors:
- Peer-reviewed articles: PNAT submission guidelines
- Thesis/dissertation abstracts: Thesis/Dissertation Abstract submission guidelines
- Book reviews: Guidelines for Book Reviews (link coming soon)
Completed manuscripts should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org for review and consideration for publication in The Prairie Naturalist.
- Current charges for publishing in The Prairie Naturalist are here: PNAT page charges
- To advertise in The Prairie Naturalist, please see the current ad rates here: PNAT advertising rates